Tennessee Considers Daring "Guns For Guns" Plan

Posted by Joey Hack on Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 1:12 PM

photo.JPG
Law enforcement agencies across Tennessee may soon participate in a "Guns For Guns" program, whereby citizens can turn in guns and receive different guns.

"This initiative accomplishes two things," said Tennessee State Representative Melvin Plunck (R) of East Tennessee. "We get potentially dangerous guns off the streets, while not depriving citizens of their Second Amendment rights. It's what they call a 'win-win'."

Details need to be worked out for the plan, but Plunck hopes that local law enforcement keep the trade-in simple.

"Look, we can get into all kinds of arguments as to whether or not I should be able to take one type of handgun if I trade in another," Plunck said. "But if we're serious about getting the worst weapons off the street does it really matter if I grab a .45 after dropping off a .38?"

Plunck then hurriedly pointed out that he does not own a .38, which he described as being a "silly little gun."

Ultimately, Plunck believes organizers will simply toss a bunch of guns on a table and let God sort it out.

Joey Hack is a regular contributor to Fly on the Wall, and is a member of The Wiseguys improv troupe.

Comments (6)

Showing 1-6 of 6

I don't think you can call it parody when some guy in the state senate is this very minute reading this, thinking "Damn that's a good idear," and forwarding it to all his friends and republican colleagues.

report 3 likes, 2 dislikes
Posted by Jeff on 01/28/2014 at 1:23 PM

I don't have a "Today in Bible Prophecy" tab. But probably should.

report 1 like, 1 dislike
Posted by Chris Davis on 01/28/2014 at 1:36 PM

I think you should, Chris. These days parody turns into reality before the paint dries.

report 3 likes, 1 dislike
Posted by Jeff on 01/28/2014 at 1:39 PM

I remember Dave Chappelle doing a parody bit he called "Trading Spouses" on Chappelle's Show, which was released in April 2003. It was supposed to be a parody about the ridiculousness of reality TV.

In 2004, the shows "Trading Spouses: Meet Your New Mommy" and "Wife Swap" came out.

report 5 likes, 1 dislike
Posted by GroveReb84 on 01/28/2014 at 1:56 PM

I've got a bunch of rubber band guns I'd gladly exchange for some high power semi-automatics with the serial numbers filed off.

report 4 likes, 1 dislike
Posted by Scott Banbury on 01/28/2014 at 5:52 PM

I'd like to trade my zip gun for an automatic assault rifle. Please send to to Robespierre care of the State Penn. Can ya get Boots Ramsey to autograph it?

report 2 likes, 0 dislikes