George Flinn Mulling Over 9th District Race (that's right, 9th!)

Posted by Jackson Baker on Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 8:02 PM

George Flinn
  • George Flinn
George Flinn, the Memphis radiologist/radio magnate who has increasingly turned to politics in recent years, will very likely do so again, sources tell the Flyer. This time Republican Flinn, who served six years on the Shelby County Commission and made races for County Mayor in 2002 and for the 8th District Congressional seat in 2010, apparently is aiming at Congress once more.

Only now it’s the 9th District seat, the one currently held by Democrat Steve Cohen. There’s already a Republican running — Charlotte Bergman, making her second consecutive try — but she’s on a shoestring budget, and Flinn, who is independently wealthy and spent more than $3 million in his 2010 race, would clearly be able to match war chests with Cohen, who is said to have close to $1 million on hand himself.

Flinn, who formerly lived in the River Oaks section of East Memphis, is now firmly within the confines of the 9th District, which has been redistricted to include sections of North Shelby County and Cordova that his backers believe are Republican-friendly.

The 9th District, however, is still majority-black, and is considered the most reliably Democratic of Tennessee’s nine congressional areas.

In entering a 9th District race, Flinn would find himself in the familiar position of facing long odds. Though he was able to defeat former state Rep. Larry Scroggs in the 2002 GOP primary, he was clearly an underdog against A.C. Wharton in the general election for County Mayor. And, when Flinn began his 2010 congressional race, eventual winner Stephen Fincher of rural Frog Jump had been campaigning hard for at least a year in the 8th District and had sewed up much Republican Party support.

Cohen would be another formidable foe — having dispatched his last several opponents, both Democratic and Republican, by lopsided ratios.

More details to come in next week’s Flyer.

Comments (18)

Showing 1-18 of 18

Is he doing this to help Steve raise money? NO Republican can win this district, like no Democrat can win Marsha's.

report 5 likes, 2 dislikes
Posted by LeftWingCracker on 02/24/2012 at 9:39 PM

Flinn is well liked in the black community...Blacks in the 9th voted for Luttrell and Gibbons and they are republicans.

Flinn will beat Bergman!!!...Cohen has got to get past Hart, which he will...Then the race is on between COHEN and FLINN!!!

Cohen has lost over 10,000 (jewish) votes due to redistricting....10,000 votes can change an election.

Cohen has got a well-oil-machine (boots on the ground) that should get him over the hump. If he run the same race he ran in 2010 he will squeak it out.

report 1 like, 1 dislike
Posted by JustRight on 02/25/2012 at 2:04 PM

I believe Mr Flinn is just willing to take one for the team here, and help the republican party avoid the embarrassment of having to suffer the shame of having Charlotte Bergman as their official nominee.

report 3 likes, 0 dislikes
Posted by big420babyjesus on 02/27/2012 at 2:13 AM

You neglect to mention Cohen's Democratic challenger, Tomeka Hart.

report 0 likes, 1 dislike
Posted by mike hollihan on 02/27/2012 at 3:35 AM

So, what is shameful about having Charlotte Bergman as a nominee?

report 1 like, 2 dislikes
Posted by Ted Underhill on 02/27/2012 at 10:08 AM

Ted: anyone who's watched or listened to her should know the answer to that question. She makes Basil Marceaux look good.

report 3 likes, 1 dislike
Posted by M_Awesomeberg on 02/27/2012 at 11:06 AM

Is Charlotte still paying herself a salary out of campaign funds?

report 2 likes, 1 dislike
Posted by B on 02/27/2012 at 11:16 AM

M: I've never watched or listened to Ms Bergman, aside from briefly meeting her in passing once. She struck me as polite, unassuming, and respectful. But my quickly drawn impression could be wrong.

Since i will likely be voting in the Republican primary and I do have a personal reason to consider voting against Dr. Flinn, I am curious. I assume from your comment that you have watched or listened to Ms. Bergman. So, can you please enlighten me regarding what she does to make Basil Marceaux look good?

report 1 like, 1 dislike
Posted by Ted Underhill on 02/27/2012 at 11:53 AM

Ted: Judging from your comment, the answer to your question is, no, I probably can't enlighten you; in all probability, about anything. Tell you what: you stick to your opinion(s) and I'll stick to mine.

report 0 likes, 1 dislike
Posted by M_Awesomeberg on 02/27/2012 at 3:46 PM

M: So you don't have a single example to offer to demonstrate how she makes Basil Marceaux look good? As I indicated earlier, my opinion of her was quickly formed and I am not bound to it given new information. I did make an effor to listen to her one time recently on Jesse Lee Peterson's radio show, but the podcast didn't fully download. I looked at her website earlier today. It could benefit from a proofreader among other things. But she is right on the Second Amendment, so I am inclined to cut her some slack.

If she is that awful of a person, it seems like you'd be able to give an illustrative example at least. Perhaps she really doesnt make Basil Marceaux look bad you're just disparaging her because of her sex and/or race.

report 1 like, 3 dislikes
Posted by Ted Underhill on 02/27/2012 at 4:03 PM

Ever heard of hyperbole, Ted?

report 2 likes, 1 dislike
Posted by cdel on 02/27/2012 at 4:36 PM

Sure M. I've also heard that Steve Cohen is a commie.

report 3 likes, 3 dislikes
Posted by Ted Underhill on 02/27/2012 at 6:29 PM

Ted: Thanks for proving my point about the futility of enlightening you, about anything.

P.S. Commie? That's pathetic.

report 1 like, 2 dislikes
Posted by M_Awesomeberg on 02/27/2012 at 7:05 PM

Ted, if it is still available somewhere on the tubes of the internets (perhaps on the way back machine), just google Ms Bergman's website from her last campaign.

I agree that she seems to be a perfectly pleasant person but she also appears to be unequipped in the brains department to give the city of Memphis the representation it needs in the halls of Congress. I can't recall specifics, since it's been about 2 years since I saw it, but the thoughts expressed on the website at the time were just incoherent. On top of that, as I recall, rather simple words were misspelled.

Now I realize the lack of an ability to spell may not be a sign of a lack of intelligence (in all instances), but, when one desires to attain the office of United States Congressman, it would behoove one to make a good first impression on one's website. This is an important job she's asking the people to honor her with and she can't take the time necessary to make sure she's expressing cogent thoughts and her spelling is correct?

The lack of understanding on her part as to why these little things matter indicate to me that she is not well equiped to represent my interests in Congress, regardless of whether I agree with her ideology or not.

She is asking to be my REPRESENTATIVE in my nation's Capital. I would rather have someone whose politics I may not always agree with represent me than I would someone who would embarrass me by not being able to speak properly, spell propery or express a coherent thought (outside a pleasant, howdy-do) when speaking to people from other regions of our country and other nations of our world.

But that's just me. If you agree with Mr. Santorum that President Obama is a "snob" for urging people to get a college education, you probably won't agree with me here.

report 3 likes, 1 dislike
Posted by bigbabyjesus on 02/28/2012 at 12:28 AM

BBJ, I appreciate your response. If you'll note my comment at 4:03 pm yesterday, you'll find that I did look at her website and remarked that it could benefit from a proofreader "among other things."

Unlike you, I suppose that I am far less concerned about how polished my Congressional Representative is than I am about how likely they are to advance the cause of individual liberty and not treat the Constitutoon as if it means whatever it wants. On those scores, collectivist Cohen comes up short.

report 3 likes, 5 dislikes
Posted by Ted Underhill on 02/28/2012 at 9:38 AM

Ok, "collectivist"???? There's just no point in further discussion here.....

report 2 likes, 3 dislikes
Posted by LeftWingCracker on 02/28/2012 at 6:58 PM

My bad. I meant "statist".

report 2 likes, 3 dislikes
Posted by Ted Underhill on 02/28/2012 at 8:43 PM

Flinn's ego is too big for Tennessee. Maybe he should move to Texas. There would be more head room AND the politcs are even more right wing there than they are here in Tennessee.

Seriously though, he would be trampled in the 9th district. We don't take too kindly to Republican'ts here.

report 1 like, 3 dislikes