A C's Advice to State Dems on “Backin' Up and Gettin' Ready”

Speaking to Tennessee Democrats in Nashville, Memphis’ mayor tries to inspire them with a childhood story about how he got wounded in a sensitive place by a billygoat.

Posted by Jackson Baker on Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Mayor A C Wharton at state Democrats Jackson Day Dinner
  • JB
  • Mayor A C Wharton at state Democrats' Jackson Day Dinner

NASHVILLE --In the course of this year’s well-attended and unexpectedly enthusiastic annual Jackson Day Dinner Saturday night in Nashville, Memphis’ A C Wharton, one of four big-city Democratic mayors who spoke to party members from the dais, took an unusual tack by way of encouraging the rank-and-file Democrats who made up his audience.

Suggesting that some of the party’s recent lean years at the polls should be regarded merely as instances of of the Democratic Party’s “backing up” in preparation for great leaps forward. the mayor told the crowd at the Musicians Hall of Fame and Museum this story, which his listeners rewarded with rapt attention and appreciative laughter:

“It reminds me of what happened when I was growing up in Lebanon. My daddy always said, ‘When you see an animal in trouble somewhere, suffering, go and help the animal’….I was walking home one day,and there was this billygoat up inside a fence...He had stuck his head out of the wire, which was easy to do since his horns went backwards, but guess what? Once he got it there he was hooked.

“So I did what my daddy said. He said,’If you see an animal in trouble, go and help the animal.’ So I go up and I commence to trying to help the old billy goat….He was backing up. ...He was gettin’ ready, all right. About the time I got real close to helping him is when he let it all out. And , of course, I was standing about this tall and you remember where his head was, and you can imagine where he hit me!

“Ruby tells me I got a bunch of boys at home, but, after where that billy goat hit me, I don’t know whether that’s true or not…..[But] that’s what we’re getting ready to do. Y’all remember that old billygoat. We’ve been backing up, but we’re gettin’ ready!...”

(More stories and reports from the Jackson Day weekend will appear online and in this week’s Flyer issue on the stands.)

Comments (9)

Showing 1-9 of 9

This guy is a pro.

report 2 likes, 2 dislikes
Posted by tomguleff on 09/09/2013 at 9:02 AM

Guess that explains his lack of balls when dealing with the cities problems.

report 7 likes, 2 dislikes
Posted by CEBorst on 09/09/2013 at 9:15 AM

He's just a Ex-Mayor Bill Lite.

He's absolutely useless, but doesn't make too much noise. What else would one expect from a very liberal ex public defender????

He did nothing while at the County and is accomplishing the same in his City gig.

report 6 likes, 3 dislikes
Posted by JuliusJones on 09/09/2013 at 10:45 AM

tomguleff said:

"This guy is a pro."
------------------------

A pro what??? You must see something I don't.

report 2 likes, 0 dislikes
Posted by JuliusJones on 09/09/2013 at 10:48 AM

Excellent Message....It might back fire. Yeah we need to back up and re-evaluate these politicians so we won't get butt!!..of course I wish I could say (f@$k)

report 2 likes, 0 dislikes
Posted by JustRight on 09/09/2013 at 11:02 AM

The ladies walking up and down summer avenue around the dirty book store are also pros.

report 2 likes, 2 dislikes
Posted by CEBorst on 09/09/2013 at 11:57 AM

Worthless and Has no vision, old and outdated

report 3 likes, 2 dislikes
Posted by Dirty Wulf on 09/09/2013 at 4:13 PM

A "pro" what, Guleff? At counting on the 73% bastardy rate in the "black" "community" to rebound into power eventually? Ask him how he talks to Ruby's "bunch of boys at home, and whether that includes the one who got convicted of criminal sex in east Tennessee for statutory predation of an underage (white) girl via the Internet. My f___g hero, AC Wharton. I never thought he would turn so racial since I met him and helped him a long time ago. Ask him if he plans to run for another office on racial rhetoric after this Mayoral scam he got away with running on us.

report 1 like, 1 dislike
Posted by Steve Tapp on 09/09/2013 at 10:59 PM

AC Wharton is a big business Republican puppet.

report 3 likes, 0 dislikes