96X to Return to Memphis Airwaves

Posted by Greg Akers on Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 3:01 PM

96X.jpg
What began as a Twitter rumor and message board material can now be independently confirmed by the Memphis Flyer, from sources with knowledge of the situation: 96X will be returning to the Memphis airwaves.

The format change — a re-formatting, if you will — was first reported by Radio Insight yesterday.

A website seemed to indicate as much, but anyone with $5.99 can make a hoax website.

The station is owned by Flinn Broadcasting. 96X was a staple of the mid-late-90s radio, bringing alternative rock to Memphis. It originally broadcast on 95.7, but the new 96X shows up on 96.1 WIVG and is broadcast out of Tunica, Mississippi.

Right now, tune in to 96.1 and you can hear the Violent Femmes' "Blister in the Sun" playing on loop.

More as we know it.

Comments (7)

Showing 1-7 of 7

Needs more power! Can barely pick it up in Midtown.

report 7 likes, 0 dislikes
Posted by Johnny Norris on 04/11/2013 at 9:15 PM

I am glad to see Memphis radio is getting a better selection of music. I listen to a variety of music. I hope they either keep the 90′s format or keep an even balance of new and 90′s or else it will be a flop.

report 2 likes, 0 dislikes
Posted by Steven Johnson on 04/12/2013 at 1:07 PM

I just hope they keep playing Blister in the Sun over and over again.

report 6 likes, 1 dislike
Posted by Chris Davis on 04/12/2013 at 1:13 PM

I remember I was actually listening to 96X when it went off the air abruptly. I waited a few minutes listening to silence and flipped the station. I can't remember the last song they played, but there was no announcement, just a cut off.

Then it briefly came back on air with them pretending someone had taken over the radio station a few days later if I recall before it finally went silent for good.

Posted by GroveReb84 on 04/12/2013 at 1:37 PM

Just another Flynn Broadcasting trick - will flip to Polka format by Labor Day.

report 3 likes, 0 dislikes
Posted by CliffBarnes on 04/12/2013 at 2:14 PM

Don't get too excited, I heard some "days of the new" on there today

report 1 like, 1 dislike
Posted by Hunter Sandlin on 04/13/2013 at 10:20 PM

I am sooo happy Memphis got it's ALternative Rock Station Back. I have my Car radio set already.... YESSS!!!!!!!! So happy.. Now maybe we can get some decent Rock Bands here...

report 1 like, 0 dislikes