by Greg Akers
But some things just can't be made up. Like: Did you hear prominent baseball figure Tim McCarver recorded an album at Memphis' Archer Records? And it's coming out tomorrow? Totally true.
Correction: The album was recorded at Ardent Studios, and Archer Records is assisting with distribution.
A Memphis native (and Christian Brothers HS alum), McCarver is known for his career behind the plate for the St. Louis Cardinals (with whom he won two World Series) and Philadelphia Phillies, among other teams; and for his post-playing career as a television sports broadcaster.
And now he's a recording artist.
From Archer Records:
Major League Baseball legend and Fox Sports commentator Tim McCarver brings out the best in this classic collection, Sings Selections from the Great American Songbook. Produced by Sid Selvidge and cut with a host of Memphis recording greats (Tony Thomas, Tom Lonardo, Sam Shoup, Jim Spake, Steve Selvidge, more), Sings blows the dust off some of the most moving vintage American standards from the last century and gives new life to each selection chosen carefully by the former All Star and World Series winner.
Tim McCarver Sings Selections from the Great American Songbook is available through Archer and Internet retailers.
1. On A Clear Day (NOTE: Has also been recorded by baseball great Denny McLain.)
2. This Will Be My Shining Hour
3. Two For The Road
4. There Used To Be A Ballpark
5. Gone With The Wind
6. Gee Baby Ain't I Good To You
7. Change Partners
8. One For My Baby (And One More For The Road)
9. A Nightingale Sang In Berkley Square
10. I'll Remember April
11. I Wish I Didn't Love You So
12. Then I'll Be Tired Of You
13. I Wish I Were In Love Again
14. Day By Day