The obelisk damaged in the 2003 windstorm has been relocated several hundred yards south of its former location, which makes it look larger because of its proximity to the river. Orange tape circling the monument is scheduled to be removed this month after lights are installed.
A second memorial depicting a scene from the actual rescue will be installed in October, according to the Riverfront Development Corporation. It will be at the northern tip of the park where the old monument was erected in 1952. The artist is David Alan Clark.