Feds Bust 10 in Memphis Prostitution Ring

by

4 comments
While Memphis was making headlines as the nation’s second most-violent city, 150 law enforcement officers from local and federal agencies were shutting down six Memphis brothels that brought in prostitutes from New York, the Dominican Republic, Colombia, and Mexico.

United States Attorney David Kustoff announced the arrest and indictment of ten Hispanic men charged with running the prostitution ring between May, 2004 and October 13, 2006, when the arrests were made.

The women charged $30 for 15 minutes of sex, according to the indictment, which also states that customers were given a bead or poker chip to signify that payment had been made.

Kustoff made the announcement at a press conference Monday along with FBI Special Agent in Charge My Harrison and Memphis Police Director Larry Godwin.

Godwin said police make prostitution arrests all the time, but he was “totally taken aback” at the international scope of the prostitution ring.

Authorities said 150 law enforcement personnel were involved in the case. The women were not charged but they are expected to testify against the men who ran the operation

Keep the Flyer Free!

Always independent, always free (never a paywall),
the Memphis Flyer is your source for the best in local news and information.

Now we want to expand and enhance our work.
That's why we're asking you to join us as a Frequent Flyer member.

You'll get membership perks (find out more about those here) and help us continue to deliver the independent journalism you've come to expect.


Comments (4)

Showing 1-4 of 4

Add a comment
 

Add a comment