EXTENDED ODDS & ENDS:
Nothing too serious on tap this week, so here's a lengthy selection of Odds and Ends. NOTABLE:
- According to Sports Business News, ticket prices for the Lewis-Tyson fight will range from $400-$2000, plus tax. One source reports that the $400 seats double as "Super-Savers" for Grizzlies games, which sell for $5.
- Grizzlies point guard Jason Williams broke three separate assist records Saturday with his 19 assists against the Golden State Warriors: his personal career best, the franchise single game assist record, and the franchise single half assist record.
- Grizzlies rookie forward Pau Gasol has scored in double figures in 62 out of 72 games this season. He has scored over 20 points 28 times, and has had more than ten rebounds 34 times. Gasol also leads the team in double-doubles, with 30 on the season.
- The Memphis RiverKings continue toward the CHL league championship, beating the Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs Friday and Saturday nights at the DeSoto Civic Center. The win puts Memphis at 2-0 lead in the best of seven series, with the next game at Bossier-Shreveport on Friday, April 5.
- The RiverKings have the top six CHL playoff point scorers: Michal Stastny with 14 points; Luch Nasato with 13 points; Kahlil Thomas with 11 points; Robb Palahnuk with 10 points; and Don Parsons and Jay Neal with nine points each. Hockey points are a combination of goals scored and assists handed out. The RiverKings also have the top four playoff goal scorers with Parsons and Palahnuk with seven goals apiece, and Stastny and Thomas with four goals each. UPDATE Palahnuk's play has not gone unnoticed. He just got called up to the St. Johns Maple Leafs of the American Hockey League. RiverKings coach Doug Shedden says he doesnt know when Ñ or if Ñ Palahnuk will return to the Kings for the playoffs.
- Grizzlies forward Pau Gasol has done it again. He was recently named the NBA rookie of the month for the Western Conference for March. This is Gasol's third nod. He earned it on the strength of averaging 17.2 ppg, 8.7 rpg, and 1.93 blocks per game, and shooting over 50% in March.
- "Everybody keeps asking what me and my partner could have done differently. No one asked, 'What could the community have done differently, what could the political leaders have done differently?'"Ray Woolridge, part owner of the Charlotte Hornets, who are applying to the NBA for a move to New Orleans.
- 'The will (to win) is always there. Tonight was one of those nights when we could execute. Our guys were determined to finish it and not give it away."Grizzlies coach Sidney Lowe on his team's win over the Golden State Warriors.
- "You still wish you had gone to Ole Miss." Quote from fan to Golden State Warrior forward Erick Dampier. Dampier played for Mississippi State.