1. If you're going to rob a restaurant, pick one that's not filled with employees who have quite possibly watched movies starring their countryman -- a fellow named Bruce Lee. A thief recently entered the China Wok restaurant in Southaven and tried to steal the cash register. Employees chased him out the door and into the parking lot, where they quickly proceeded to turn him into a Poo Poo Platter.
2. After 38 years, gay bar J. Wags has closed, and the building will be demolished to make way for a parking lot. Named after its original owner, James Wagner, the little Midtown bar quickly became a Memphis institution, especially famous for its drag shows. Man, those "girls" sure could lip synch.
3. Details are still sketchy, but it's possible that president George W. Bush will accompany Japanese prime minister Junichiro Koizumi to Graceland later this month. The prime minister, it seems, is a huge fan of the King of Rock-and-Roll. Despite The Commercial Appeal's headline, however, we suspect this isn't the first time there's been "A Bush in the Jungle Room."
4. Rumors abound that Justin Timberlake will help revive the old Stax record label. It's a great idea, and maybe he can bring Janet Jackson along just to generate more buzz.
5. Oprah Winfrey makes a surprise visit to Memphis, where she leads the Peabody ducks down their red carpet, visits the National Civil Rights Museum, and even has dinner with Lisa Marie Presley at Graceland. That last part surprised us the most. After all these years, you can still eat at Graceland?